Monday, February 23, 2009

Learning :)

Interning is hard work, long hours, and sometimes not the most fun I’ve ever had. But its good work, it’s rewarding, and I’ve learned a few things about myself.

1.) I like working. I like being able to do my work, and then go home and relax, most days this doesn’t happen. But I have less homework, and less to worry about. It is comforting to have a really steady schedule, and I feel like I’m getting more done. I’m always busy, and there is always something to do. But there is time to do it.
2.) I’m improving my time management skills. Even though I may not have as much homework, I still have to make a good balance of my time. I didn’t want to give up all my extracurricular activities or my social life, and I haven’t had to. But it’s taken some doing to get everything done without having a late night. It’s a completely different schedule then I’m used to, I’m used to working at night and I’ve had to learn how to work effectively during my lunch break or around dinner time. It’s tough!
3.) I’m tough! I’m thriving with this challenging schedule, and really starting to get into the groove of things and find some wiggle room to really get what I want out of my experience.
4.) Being a young woman in the work place is an interesting position; I imagine it’s completely different then being a young man. It’s nice to work in a mostly female office; being a woman has advantages and disadvantages.
5.) I don’t think I will want to be working in a cubicle/at a desk all the time in the future. I think I’ll want a job where I have to be mobile and have a lot of out-of-the-office work. Doesn’t everyone want that though? Sitting a desk is exciting for only so long.
6.) I have learned A LOT about health, health policy, ethics, the legal importance of correctly filling out paperwork, and attention to detail. Lots and lots and lots of detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment